The great thing about salads in my mind is that they are the perfect excuse to throw all manner of good stuff into a bowl. This recipe was created after a fruitful loot in our local health food stores reduced bin.
(Serves 4, Vegan and Gluten Free)
- 350g Butternut Squash, diced
- tablepoon Vegetable Oil
- 1/2 tsp chilli flakes
- pinch of sea salt
- Preheat Oven to 180oc,
- Combine all ingredients and bake for roughly 20 minutes or until squash are just turning crispy.
- tablespoon of: olive oil
- red wine vinegar
- lemon juice
- teaspoon of: sesame oil
- dark soy sauce
- good pinch of sea salt
- 2 cloves of very finely chopped garlic
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix well until the citric components have combined with the oil.
- Halve your tofu block horizontally then cut each half vertically, so you get 6 slabs.
- Remove excess liquid from tofu by wrapping in kitchen roll and press down gently, this will help the marinade soak in.
- Pour half the marinade into a rimmed plate, place the tofu on top and pour the remaining marinade over.
- Cover with cling film and leave for no less than an hour (the longer you leave it the tastier it gets).
- Heat a griddle pan (no need to use more oil as there’l be plenty from the marinade) and cook tofu 2/3 minutes on each side.
- tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 red onion, finely sliced
- zest of one orange
- handful of finely chopped coriander
- 1/2 green chilli
- good pinch of sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of cumin & coriander seeds
- tin of black beans, drained and washed thoroughly
- Fry the onion and chilli for 3 minutes in the oil then turn off the heat.
- Add coriander, orange zest, cumin, coriander seeds and salt.
- Mix in beans.
(This fool- proof method for cooking rice was handed down to me from my momma, always perfectly cooked and no need to drain any water at the end- rice with a lovely bite).
- 1/2 a tea mug of brown rice
- 1 tea mug of cold water
- Wash rice in a sieve then place in a small pan, add the cold water.
- Bring to the boil, reduce to a simmer and cook for 25 minutes.
- Turn the heat off and cover with a tea towel for 15 minutes.
(This should make enough for 4 portions- depending on your appetite!)
Toasted Peanuts and Hazlenuts:
- 25g of both, dry fried until they start to go brown.
For my salad i used a base of watercress rocket and spinach, then added the rice, then the squash, some (reduced!) plum tomatoes, cut lengthways, 1/2 very finely chopped red onion and nuts. Serve the beans on the side with the grilled tofu on top.