This afternoon you find me pickling Fennel. I have somehow just discovered Real Food’s reduced fruit and veg bin! I bagged myself 4 rather sorry looking looking Fennel bulbs for the tidy sum of 80p. After a small amount of grooming (chopping off the squishier, brown bits) and finely slicing, i popped them in a sterilised jar (one which has been boiled for 10 minutes) with my own brand of pickling juice. In about a week we will have lovely marinated Fennel which will last for about 3 weeks- save!
- 4 bulbs of Fennel
- 200ml Apple Cyder Vinegar
- 50ml White Wine Vinegar
- juice of 1 Lemon and 1 Orange
- teaspoon of Mustard Seeds and whole Peppercorns
- 2 teaspoons of Sea Salt
- 2 tablespoons of Sugar
- 8 Cloves
- Whilst your jar is sterilising, chop the tops, bottoms and tougher insides off your fennel
- Finely slice and arrange on a plate, sprinkle with the salt
- In a medium pan, heat the vinegars, citrus juices, sugar and spices until they just reach boiling point, remove from the heat
- Tip your fennel into the jar (you’ll have to get your fist in there to squash them all down)
- Carefully tip the liquid in, leaving 1 centimetre from the top, screw on the lid and shake to combine all the ingredients
- Leave for a minimum of 2 days before eating.