I first encountered this flatbread recipe on the beautiful site of Golubka. I made them, per recipe for Callum’s birthday and they went down real good. However, the original recipe called for a mix of Buckwheat flour and Rice flour. I have a very good friend back home who avoids both wheat and rice, therefore i wanted to create a flatbread recipe that she would be a- okay enjoying. This ones for you Lucy…
The only thing i would change about this recipe is that i did not roll/ press the flatbreads out enough before they went in the fridge- they were still delicious its just that they were a bit on the thick side of flatbreadness.
Now, i’m not going to do a right up of the salad that accompanied our flatbreads. For a mixture of reasons- one, to say i got a little carried away would be a huge understatement. Two, there are far too many ingredients to make it viable for most households (in my defence, i was using up a lot of things that needed eating). Three, it was pretty much a case of throw everything onto a (very large) platter. Anyway, i will say that it was a true multi-taste, texture, colour spectacular, that i ate with my hands- in order to fully appreciate each mouthful, each beautiful taste. Theres a name for these kinds of salads (i didn’t make it up)- An Everything Salad. Maybe if you have a surplus of salad vegetables, fruits, legumes to hand you can do the same. Its a feast if ever there was one.
Buckwheat & Gram Flour Flatbreads:
(Makes 4, Gluten- free, Vegan)
- 200g Buckwheat Flour
- 200g Gram (Chickpea) Flour
- 250ml Water
- 1 tablespoon of Apple Cyder Vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon of Sea Salt
- 2 1/2 tablespoons of Sugar
- 4 tablespoons of Olive Oil
- 1/2 teaspoon of Gluten- free Baking Powder
- Sift the flours together in a bowl
- In a measuring jug, whisk the water and 1 1/2 tablespoons of the sugar until dissolved
- Add the vinegar and whisk again
- Weigh out 190g of your flour mix, add the remaining sugar, salt and baking powder and mix
- Add the liquids and stir until you have a smooth, runny paste
- Slowly add the remaining flour until you are able to handle the dough
- Turn onto a floured surface and knead (with floured hands) for 2 minutes
- Divide into 4, lay a piece of cling film onto a surface and add one piece of dough, cover with another piece of cling film and gently press until you have a large, flat disk
- Repeat with the remaining dough, pop in the fridge for 30 minutes (or overnight if you want to make in advance)
- Heat a griddle pan until smoking hot and cook each flatbread, 2 minutes on each side.
Now, just incase your curious, the everything salad contained:
Leaves, Carrot, Cucumber, Raisins, Blueberries, Apple, Celery, Red Onion, Toasted Nuts & Seeds, Sweetcorn, Avocado, Roasted Kale, Broccoli, Aubergine, Courgette, Red Cabbage, Plum Tomatoes. Dressed in a Sweet & Sour Sweetcorn Drizzle. Phew!