Thursday i had that very specific craving- the craving for raw vegetables, and lots of them. For colours, crunch and freshness. The quick solution: Hummus. I soaked far too many yellow split peas, knowing fine well that i’d end up with too much hummus, but just enough to make two very different dips to accompany the rainbow of crudite. I started with a base of roasted garlic and lemon then went with: my new best friend Fenugreek & Garam Masala and secondly, Coriander & Sumac.
(Makes 2 bowls, Vegan, Gluten- free)
- 1 (coffee) cup of Yellow Split Peas
- 6 cloves of Garlic
- juice and zest of 1 Lemon
- 1 teaspoon of Salt
- 2 tablespoons of Olive Oil
- 1 tablespoon of Fenugreek leaves
- 1 teaspoon of Garam Masala
- 8 stalks of fresh Coriander
- 1 tablespoon of Sumac
- Soak the peas in plenty of cold water overnight, drain and wash well
- Heat the oven to 180c, trim the roots off the garlic and pop on some foil
- Cover with a dash of oil and a pinch of salt, fold the foil into a parcel and roast for 20 minutes
- Add peas to a medium pan with more fresh water and a good pinch of salt
- Bring to the boil then reduce to a simmer for 15- 20 minutes until just soft
- Drain and rinse well in cold water
- When the times up for the garlic, carefully squeeze the cloves out of their skins
- Half all the ingredients and blend until quite smooth in a blender/ processor
- Transfer each to a bowl and garnish each with a little of the seasonings
- Serve with plenty of fresh crudite, i went with: Peppers, Celery, Cucumber, Spring Onions, Carrots and lots of salad.
- Eat with your hands and really savour the freshness of all the vegetables!