The first of these salads was inspired by our beautiful friend Emily, who cooked an exceptional feast at DPC at few weeks back. It’s simple, fresh and clean. It’s all kinds of green with an interesting play between the cooling mint and the gentle pang of warmth from the chilli oil. The capers add another dimension to the overall flavour profile- a slight saltiness which balances the inherent sweetness of the peas and beans beautifully. You can totally keep this raw but i steamed the veg for about a minute.
This salad is beneficial for your heart chakra. The colour green stimulates feelings of love, joy and inner peace. So enjoy this with a special person or on your own, because you need to love yourself just as much as those closet to you.
The second salad emphasises the heavenly relationship that is beetroot and dill. The former having been soaked in dill infused balsamic vinegar for a few hours before being roasted for just long enough to soften the flesh. This is then interwoven with red quinoa, red onion, tomatoes and radish. A very earthy salad with the creamy quinoa playing off the crisp raw vegetables. Then comes the bite of the beetroot and a final lightness from the dill. A mouthful of excellence if ever there was one. (Again you can keep this raw- you would just need to use sprouted quinoa and soak the beetroot overnight).
This salad stimulates the root chakra which i’ve introduced before. The red components stimulate feelings of grounding and security. A good dish to get you through the trickier obstacles life may throw. Oh you know, you just want to eat something damn delicious and wholesome- your choice!
(Both serve 4, Vegan, Gluten free, Raw with adaptations)
Pea, Bean & Mint Salad:
- 1 cup fresh Peas
- large handful of Sugar Snap Peas
- large handful of Fine Green Beans
- 1 tablespoon of Capers
- 2 tablespoons of chopped fresh Mint
- 1 tablespoon of Chilli Oil (recipes coming soon)
- Steam the greens for 1 minute, or keep raw
- Transfer to a bowl and stir in the remaining ingredients
Dill Infused Beetroot & Quinoa:
- 3 raw Beetroot, peeled and cut into 1cm disks
- 2 tablespoons of Balsamic Vinegar
- 1/2 cup Red Quinoa (ideally soaked for 4 hours)
- 6 stalks of Dill
- 2 Tomatoes, diced
- 6 Radish, finely sliced
- 1/2 Red Onion, finely sliced
- pinch of Sea Salt
- The the throngs of 3 of the dill stalks and pop into a cup, pour over the vinegar and set aside
- Place the beetroot in a bowl and pour the vinegar over, stir to coat and leave to infuse for at least 1 hour
- Rinse the quinoa and transfer to a small pan, add 1 cup of water and bring to the boil, reduce to a gentle simmer and cook for 12 minutes
- Drain if needs be and allow to cool
- Heat the oven to 180c, lay the beetroot out onto a baking tray and roast for 12- 15 minutes, until slightly shrivelled (reserve the leftover vinegar for dressing)
- Finely chop the remaining dill and combine everything in a serving bowl
- Pour over the remaining vinegar and sprinkle the salt, mix well