Imagine the scene- a slice of cheesecake.
Bejewelled with beautiful blueberries, cross sectioned to showcase their magnificent spectrum of pale green melting into the most stunning shade of purple sapphire. Suspended in creamy white, speckled with flecks of bright, fiery orange. The base, a medley of earthy tones; delicate crumbs interspersed with shavings of coconut.
And then theres the taste: the first bite belies barely frozen berries, almost crystallised. Their tart sweetness yielding to the silky yet fresh cream of cashews. Orange zest punctuating the deep, sweet accents of maple. Then down to the subtle crunch of almonds, mingled with the unctuous caramel of dates, and the crisp fragrance of coconut.
This cake is rich. Yet it retains a lightness; a heavenly equilibrium resulting from a well thought out play of flavours and a considered utilisation of the natural properties of each ingredient. I got the recipe straight from This Rawsome Vegan Life but omitted layering the cake. Instead i swirled the blueberries into the filling as i wanted to showcase my favourite berry in all its natural greatness. Also, i only own a small cake tin, so i ended up with two cakes. Each cake happily served 8 so i’d probably recommend halving the recipe.
(Vegan, Gluten Free, RAW)
For the base:
- 2 cups of Almonds, soaked overnight
- 1 cup of pitted Dates, soaked overnight
- 50g Coconut Flakes
- 1/2 tsp Pink Salt
For the Filling:
- 3 cups of Cashews, soaked overnight
- 3/4 cup of Orange Juice (freshly squeezed)
- 1/2 cup Maple Syrup
- 1/2 cup Coconut Oil, melted
- juice of 1 Lemon
- Zest of 2 Oranges (or all the zest from however many oranges you squeezed)
- 1/4 tsp of Pink Salt
- 1-2 cups of Blueberries
- Line a cake tin with baking parchment
- Drain the almonds and dates and add all the base ingredients to a blender
- Blitz until the mix resembles chunky breadcrumbs/ sticks together
- Press into the bottom of your cake tin
- Cover and freeze whilst making the filling
- Drain the cashews and add all ingredients to the blender, except the zest and blueberries
- Blitz until very, very smooth
- Transfer to a bowl and stir in the zest
- Pour onto your base and swirl the blueberries into the filling
- Freeze overnight, removed 1-2 hours before serving