A labour of love if ever there was one. But to craft a dish, usually unhealthy, from scratch and thus full of nutrition is certainly worth the effort. I’m warning you because in my mind- anything that takes 3 hours is worth knowing before hand.
The nachos are crisp and light- theres no fat going on here. They boast a subtle but deep spice from the chipotle. For that reason i omitted any further spice from the accoutrements but once we started eating i found that i would have preferred some heat from the salsa. The recipe for which is in my Dips section, as is the Guacamole. I’d seen a recipe for vegan nachos cheese somewhere on the web but have totally lost it, so this is my version. It doesn’t melt, but its wholesome and distinctly cheesy (thanks nutritional yeast).
So yes, i (you) can totally have your nachos and eat them, guilt free, knowing that you’ve neither harmed an animal nor your body in the process.
(Serves 4, Vegan, Gluten free)
For the nachos, (makes one giant tray):
- 400g Masa Harina
- 450ml Water
- 2 tablespoons of Chipotle (tweak to taste)
- Heat the oven to 180c, cut a few sheets of baking parchment to fit flat trays (i think i did 10 batches in the end with 4 trays, so work in stages)
- Combine the spice with the flour, ensuring its fully distributed
- Add the water and form into your dough
- Scoop 2 soup spoons worth of dough at a time, place onto the parchment and cover in a sheet of cling film
- Roll until as thin as you can possibly get, remove the film
- Use a sharp knife (or pizza cutter) to slice large diamond shapes in the dough
- Carefully transfer back onto the trays and bake for 5 minutes, or until the edges start to curl
- Flip over and cook for another 8- 10 minutes until dry and crisp
- Repeat until all the dough is used
Vegan Nachos Cheese:
(Makes 1/2 a bowl)
- 1 cup of raw Cashews (soaked for at least 4 hours)
- juice of 1/2 a Lemon
- pinch of Sea Salt
- 2+ tablespoons of Nutritional Yeast (to taste)
- 1/4-1/2 cup Water
- Place everything in a blender and blitz until very smooth, add enough water until the “cheese” is thick but slightly runny
Arrange one layer of nachos into a deep roasting tin, dot guacamole, salsa and cheese on top. Add another layer of nachos and repeat until all your goodies are used up. Bake/ grill 5-10 minutes, until the dish has browned slightly. Enjoy with a film, good company, on your own with music!