WHAM! BAM! Thank you, erm, jam!
This sweet little beauty really does pack a punch- exactly what you want from a Chilli jam right? Well, if you’re not too keen on the spicy side of culinary life (Natasha, Raymond, Ellie?!) then you can absolutely tone this down to suit your graceful tastebuds. If, like us, you are willing to continually push the boundaries of heat tolerance- then go ahead and make this.
By the way, did i mention it’s sugar free? Jam? No sugar? Damn right… Chia seeds darlings!
The lovely Chia seed contains huge amounts of protein, calcium, omega- 3 and fibre, both the soluble and insoluble kind. Which is precisely why its perfect to thicken up jam! The fibres absorb a heck of a lot more water than their tiny stature would suggest. Leave these guys in liquid for 10 minutes and they will do magic.
So, to the jam. I wanted hot but i also wanted some balance- queue the raspberries. Their tart sweetness perfectly compliments the heat. Various other fruits would happily work well here- rhubarb, strawberry, orange, you get the picture.
(Makes 1 jar, or half a jar if you get overexcited by the awesome of the jam and knock half of it onto the floor- damn you chilli!!!! Vegan, Gluten free, Sucrose free)
- 1 punnet of Raspberries
- 8 dried Red Chillies
- 2 cloves Garlic, grated
- small thumb of Ginger, grated
- juice of 1/2 a Lemon
- 1/2 cup Water
- 1/2 tablespoon of Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 tablespoon of Chia Seeds
- Add all ingredients, except the chia, to a small pan and bring to the boil
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes, or until the raspberries have lost their shape
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool
- Blend until smooth, then stir in the chia, allow to plump up for at least 10 minutes
- Will keep in a clean jar, in the fridge for a few weeks