basil, borlotti beans, broccoli, butter beans, carrots, cassoulet, compassionate eating, garlic, gluten free vegan, gluten- free, healthy, hollistic nutrition, nourishing, peas, sage, savoy cabbage, sweetcorn, thyme, vegan, vegan cassoulet, vegetarian, veggie sausages
As we slip into October, i can’t help but thanking the start of Autumn for being so forgiving. The days have been warm and the afternoon sunsets have been long.
The last few weeks have been magical here at Green & Leithy towers. Afternoons of rolling about in fruit laden gardens, magical evening drives through cities and countryside, long mornings relaxing over coffee. Perfect B activities.
But getting colder it most definitely is. And to celebrate the majesty of all things cosy i present my take on Cassoulet. Its quick, cheap and filling. Need i say anymore? Of course i need. The broth is a heady mix of herbs and g.a.r.l.i.c. Coz’ ya’ll know how much i love the stuff right?!?! Then theres a whole medley of groovy veg joining the party, which you can tweak to suit what you’ve got to hand. The beans melt into creamy delightfulness and the sausages bring it up to the final level of awesomeness (though their totally optional).
This is certainly a hearty dish, perfect for warming your wonderful cockles after a good long hike, perfect for making in advance and having to hand after a long day of work (did i mention it tastes even more amazing the next day?). Its full of delicious nutrients and proteins- just what our bodies start to crave and need as we slip into the colder months.
I cook mine on the stove top but i reckon it would be swell to pop it into a real life cassoulet pot and have the oven do the work whilst you busy yourself with all that good stuff life requires. Also, if you beauties have any great recipes for hearty rolls/ dumplings/scones then i would love, love, love if you shared in the comments. Some tasty breaded goodness would finish this dish off perfectly.
Much love and big socks xxxx
- 1/2 large Brown Onion, diced
- 5 fat cloves Garlic, minced
- 1/4 head Broccoli, cut into small florets
- 1 large Carrot, peeled and sliced
- 1 large handful String Beans, halved
- 1/4 head Savoy Cabbage, thinly sliced
- !/4 cup Peas
- 1/4 cup Sweetcorn
- 1/2 cup Butter Beans
- 1/2 cup Borlotti Beans
- 4 vg/gf Sausages, cooked and chopped
- handful of fresh Herbs, torn (I used Basil, Thyme and Sage)
- 1 litre Organic Vegetable Stock
- 1 tsp Peppercorns, ground
- 1/2 tsp dried Garlic
- 2 tsp Arrowroot, ground
- 1 tbsp Coconut Oil
- Heat the oil in a medium/ large pot and add the onions, cooking on a medium heat until softened
- Add the garlic and carrots, cook for 4 minutes
- Add the beans, peppercorns and herbs and cook for another 4 minutes
- Add the remaining ingredients, except the sausages and arrowroot, bring to a boil then lower to a simmer for 15- 20 minutes
- Ladle 4 tbsp of liquid into a cup with the arrowroot to create a slurry
- Turn the heat down to low and add the slurry and the sausages, cook for a further 5 minutes